Carbin Reef in Sagay Negros Occidental
Carbin Reef is a huge sand bar in the middle of a 200-hectares marine reserve off the coast of the municipality of Sagay in Negros Occidental – just 1.5 to 2 hours away north of Bacolod City. Established in 1983, it is part of the 32,000 hectare protected area of what is called Sagay Marine Reserve. Carbin Reef has clear, pristine and turquoise water that is ideal for swimming, snorkeling, and a perfect spot to get some tan.
The area also has several cottages that guests and visitors could rent for day trips. Just make sure to bring all you need – such as food and water – because there are no stores or restaurants in Carbin Reef. Wondering how to get to Carbin Reef? Let me help you.
Travel Guide to Carbin Reef in Sagay Negros Occidental
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS CARBIN REEF TRAVEL GUIDE BLOG 2023?
Are you ready? Okay, let’s get started…
HOW TO GET TO CARBIN REEF?
- If you’re coming from Manila or other parts of the country, take a flight to Bacolod, the capital city of Negros Occidental. Flights land at Bacolod-Silay International Airport which is about 30 minutes away from Bacolod City.
- Make your way to Silay main road and take a Ceres bus bound for Sagay. Alternatively, you can take a taxi or shuttle van from the airport going to Bacolod City and tell the driver to drop you to the North Bus Terminal. READ: How to get in and out of Bacolod-Silay Airport.
- From the North Bus Terminal, you can take a bus or van to the City of Sagay. Travel time is about 2 – 2.5 hours and fare is around 100-170 pesos.
- Upon reaching Sagay City Bus Terminal, hire a tricycle that will bring you to the Old Sagay Port or Wharf. Tricycle rental is from 70-100 pesos good for 5 persons.
- Upon reaching the port, proceed to the tourism information center at the wharf to register and hire a boat to Carbin Reef.
- For a boat that could accommodate 1-10 persons, the boat fee is 1,200 to Carbin Reef. For the the other expenses and rates, see details below.
- Travel time from the port to Carbin Reef is 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the sea condition.
- Enjoy the sand, the sun, and the clear waters of Carbin Reef!
THINGS TO DO AT CARBIN REEF
Swimming, snorkeling, sun bathing, picnicking, and other water and beach activities.
NOTE: Bring your own snorkeling gears. There are no available snorkeling gear rentals at Carbin Reef. You can also rent snorkeling gears from Buhay Dagat Snorkeling Guides of Sagay Association for PHP 250.00 per day. Ask the staff at the tourism information center where to rent.
ALSO READ: Top Things to Do, Tourist Spots and Attractions in Bacolod City
WHAT TO BRING?
- Food and drinks. There are no stores or restaurants in Carbin Reef. You can also order food for your group in advance. Contact SIETAS Secretary and Kitchen Committee at 0907-396-2199.
- It so hot in Carbin Reef, make sure to bring coral-friendly sun block and sunglasses.
- Bring your own snorkeling gears. There are no available rentals at the site. You can also rent snorkeling gears from Buhay Dagat Snorkeling Guides of Sagay Association for PHP 250.00 per day. Ask the staff at the tourism information center where to rent.
- Water proof your things by securing them in a dry bag.
- Garbage bag. Organize your garbage and bring them back to the main island. Dispose it properly.
WHERE TO STAY?
Overnight stay is not allowed on Carbin Reef. It is best visited on a day tour. The best thing to do is just stay in Bacolod City where you could find a wide arry of accommodation options.